Wednesday, 23 May 2012

In which Alice has a very exciting week...!

I had a very, very awesome week. :) Firstly, I finished my degree, and secondly, I traded in my boyfriend for an upgraded 'fiancé' model! ;)

134/366
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Finishing my finals was a pretty weird feeling. Good, but weird. I don't officially graduate until the end of June, but that will be a mostly meaningless ceremony for me - though I'm sure it'll be nice - as this is the moment where it really feels like it's ending. Eeek! I leave St Andrews on Thursday, for good...

Seeing as how Gav & I have so much history in St Andrews, I invited him over last weekend for One Last St Andrews weekend of Gavin & Alice. It had been miserable weather all week, but it perked up and got out beautiful, just for us!

We started the day with delicious pies from our favourite bakery, Fisher & Donaldson. This shop literally turned me into a meat-eater. Genuinely. I didn't eat meat before I accidentally took a bite out of one of these bad boys. Could you resist these pies?

Bean & Potato Pie


Though I've spent a lot of time around St Andrews Cathedral, which is probably one of my favourite places in the entire world, I had never actually climbed up St Rule's Tower, so I decided that Saturday was the day!

St Rule's Tower


I did not enjoy edging my way nervously up the tiny spiral staircase, but the view from the top was SO worth it~

View from St Rule's


View from St Rule's


Here's Gavin against the beautiful backdrop:

Gavin up St Rule's

.... and some shots Gav took of me and him up there!

Me up St Rule's
Le Couple

Our tower tickets also let us go into the Cathedral museum, which was full of medieval gravestones. I was in medieval nerd heaven.

Cathedral Museum


At this point, we were pretty much actually melting so we had some ice cream~

Ice Cream!


Then we walked along up the Fife coastal path, which is just gorgeous...

Grabby on the Coastal Path


A little way along this path at an unspecified location, you can scramble down to a little beach. If you scramble over the rocks for a bit towards what looks like nothing, you come across this steep slope with bits of rope hanging down. Pull yourself up the ropes, there's a secret cave ♥ 

Cave Gavin


I discovered this cave in my first year at uni and had a lot of cave adventures, where we lit a fire and toasted sausages and marshmallows and stayed very late and stumbled back home a little worse for wear... :P I invited Gavinpants to one such cave adventure as we were just getting to know each other quite well! We had a lot of fun, and I believe it was the next day we decided to be a 'proper' couple. Awwww. How very teenage. :P I introduced him to veggie fingers and he introduced me to gin and Irn Bru. A winning combination, hahah.

Here are some photos I dug up from Facebook from our first Cave Adventures back in March 2009, taken by my friend Fiona:

Me, my friend Anna, and Gavin

Gavin demonstrating his fire-lighting mastery
I honestly can't believe I navigated those rocks and slopes under the influence. It really is quite a scramble! I hadn't been to the cave since 2009, and I got thoroughly muddy scrambling up the path. God bless whoever put those ropes there, it was genius. Honestly could not make it up there without them!

Anyway, we had a look around the cave one last time, then walked back to the little beach where Gavin thought it appropriate to pop the question. ;)

140/366


It was very lovely, and, well, obviously I thought it was a pretty good idea too! So I guess that's that. :)

141/366

We finished off our lovely day with a delicious Japanese meal out and our second viewing of the Avengers at the cinema. (We are the biggest, best losers ever.)

People have been asking me lots of questions, so here you go! The finer points of the Alice & Gavin partnership. :)
  • It was a surprise, but I knew it was coming more or less! I don't know how normal that is, but the idea of being caught totally by surprise terrifies me. Ohmygoodness if someone just turned round out of the blue and asked me to make such a monumental life decision on the spot without having talked about it, I think I would just panic and vomit on them or something.
  • I did have input on the ring to some extent, but all ultimate decisions lay with Gavin. Didn't he do well? ;) I am a bit funny about metal and buying me a metal object without prior consultation is kind of a no-no! For example, gold totally freaks me out. (Ahh, my "quirks". Heh.)
  • It is palladium, which I find very exciting! I think it is the unsung cousin of the jewellery industry, especially for engagement rings. It's lovely! 
  • We don't have a date! We are in no hurry, and will wait for such a time as feels appropriate. I'm currently unemployed, and we would like for us to settle somewhere and have some financial ground to stand on before we do Wedding Spendies. (But don't worry. I have a pinterest! Hahah! I can plan on a budget. :P)
  • So yes, probably a long engagement, which suits us both. I know some people see it as a "we are planning our wedding" kind of announcement, but for us it also means a whole host of other things. Marrying is obviously our endgame, but we don't mind taking our time. :) 
  • I would kind of like to tentatively suggest spring 2014, but that is completely dependent on things going to the timescale I am imagining! First stage, graduate and find a job...!
  • There will be kilts. And a ceilidh. These things I insist upon. :P
I feel a little bit like my life is getting turned upside down right now, and it is indescribably lovely to be able to be so certain about something in a way people can understand. Also, of course, Gavin is, you know, the coolest person I've ever met, and he doesn't even have to try. (Sorry for paraphrasing Juno, but it's just so appropriate in every way!) I feel incredibly blessed to have found him so comparatively young, like I have a head-start on life! :) I mean, just look. He's the best.

Aaannnd that is quite enough soppy for one entry. ;) 

alice xox

14 comments:

  1. Aww <3 You and Gavin are super adorable! Congratulations again on the engagement :D Now the important question - what kind of role will your dolls have in your wedding? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu! <3 The dolls will be there. ;) I'm not sure how, but they will. :D I'll need flower girls, right?! And these ones don't even need food, so they're super efficient ;)

      Delete
  2. Lauren - cakewalkqueen23 May 2012 at 01:11

    This is SO sweet! Ya'll outing sounds a lot like something we would do. Exploring old stuff, eating, and nerd movies. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh thank you! It's fairly typical ^_^ yay nerdiness!

      Delete
  3. LOL those pies. It looks so pretty! They must be good to turn you into a meat eater xD What a beauitful view! It looks like a scene straight out of a medieval fairytale or something! I LOVE that you mention the whole being *TOO* surprised thing. I can understand where you're coming from - now that I think about it, I think I'd totally freak out and not know what to do if it were a complete surprise LOL. Annddd I'm with you on gold! No gold for me! I think it's wonderful that it's gonna be a longer engagement. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that with people rushing into getting married and all, you don't get to spend that time to really plan their marriages and instead get super wrapped up in their weddings. I want a long engagement, too (: That way, you can fully enjoy each other while being "betrothed," but still work on your individual things like .. jobs eek! KILTSSSSS. I need pictures when this happens, ok? (((: You two are such cuties <3 (: I'm so excited for you guys! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much Amanda! <3 I completely agree. It's a lovely stage in life and this entire process and I hope to make the most of it and enjoy it :D xx

      Delete
  4. I just about died when I read that "Don't worry, I have a Pinterest" line. Because we all know that 45% of Pinterest is planning for weddings :)

    Congrats again! You two are so lovely together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Pinterest is pretty much an online wedding planner. With some extras. :P

      Delete
  5. this is all just a great big blog entry of awesomeness. you have so much more of your life together than i did when i finished college. it is very impressive. :)

    engagement stories are always so fun to hear. so thanks for sharing yours! pinterest = the win, of course. i look forward to snooping in on your wedding pins (while i personally barely pin anything wedding-related as i want it to all be a surprise!).

    lastly, kilts + ceilidh = AWESOME. no dancing for my midwestern scottish wedding, as the bands are a bit harder to come by here. but all celebrations are better with kilts, obviously. whenever you decide to have yours, be it sooner or later, i have no doubt it will be fab.

    a millions congratulations again. hoorah! hoorah! hoorah! and however-you-say-hoorah-in-old-english!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't really know what a typical 22 year old is, but I think I might be very lucky in that respect. :) I am excited to see what you do! Have you enjoyed the planning? Was BCUK a good warm-up? ;)

      Ceilidh is the only kind of dancing I have ever enjoyed, hehe. Mostly because if you look a bit daft that's half the fun! ;) Think I should start polishing up my Strip the Willow now... :P

      Delete
  6. Loved to read this, poppet! You are both the cutest!

    ReplyDelete