Monday, 23 July 2012

A little bit of Yorkshire and a vague plan to have Better Blogging Habits

You know, I think I might be the most English English-person in the entire world. I get taken away on a lovely holiday to France where the weather is gorgeous and sunny. I shovel on the factor fifty, buy a ridiculously large sunhat and make sure to cover my shoulders... and I still get burnt, and thus spend the rest of the week hiding and hissing in the shadows, occasionally sprinting out for provisions - including but not limited to more suncream and drinks with lots of ice cubes. I get bitten everywhere and complain about the Euro and the exchange rate and when I step off the plane I practically dance in the rain because eight degrees centigrade is such a beautiful temperature and oh, sweet British earth let us never part again!


So, Gavin's holiday idea of going to Yorkshire for a few days was spot on. It was even forecast to be at the very least overcast, if not drizzling. Perfect.




Yorkshire is so pretty, and I'd never really been to this particular area before. We stayed in Malham, which was a really lovely town.


It's just a short walk to Gordale Scar, which was formed by the melting water from glaciers. (You know, quite a long time ago.) You don't get a full view of the Scar until you come around a corner in the valley, and so the first impression is pretty amazing.



Apparently, normally you can climb up it, but it's been raining super heavily across the UK right now, so the waterfalls were pretty ferocious. We climbed up as far as the first waterfall, and then, after seeing three dead birds lying in the water, we decided it was an omen and we'd just walk around it. Even without climbing up it, though, it was pretty awesome.

GORDALE
At early dawn, or rather when the air
Glimmers with fading light and shadowy eve
Is busiest to confer and to bereave;
Then, pensive votary! let thy feet repair
To Gordale chasm, terrific as the lair
Where the young lions couch; for so, by leave
Of the propitious hour, thou mayst perceive
The local deity, with oozy hair
And mineral crown, beside his jagged urn
Recumbent: him thou mayst behold, who hides
His lineaments by day, yet there presides,
Teaching the docile waters how to turn,
Or, if need be, impediment to spurn,
And force their passage to the salt-sea tides!
- William Wordsworth


Further down, the water from Gordale Scar runs into Janet's Foss, another very pretty waterfall. 'Foss' is a Nordic word for waterfall, and 'Janet' is apparently Queen of the local fairies who live in the cave behind the waterfall. Again, too much rain - we couldn't get to the cave without quite possibly breaking our necks (which I'm rather fond of) but it was lovely anyway!

201/366


We climbed up (well, I sort of flopped and moaned and scrambled while Gavin strode up casually) a nearby hill to get a good view of the Scar and surrounding Yorkshire prettiness. Callie felt very at home, the Proper Northern Lass she is. 

202/366

The next day, we decided to go for a Really Long Walk, and completely overestimated our stamina and fitness. Hilariously so. It was lovely anyway, though, even if every single muscle in my body was weeping gently.


A B&B near Kilnsey had this really cute set-up where they'd prepared bunches of flowers and left them in jars of water by the road, with an honesty box. Gavin presented me with this bunch which I stubbornly brought all the way back to Newcastle with me. Pretty flowers! 



It drizzled every now and again, which was actually perfect weather for a long walk. The heavy rain meant a lot of fields were actually kind of more like rivers, so I was pretty soggy by the end of it, but everything was green and verdant. Beautiful!




As much as I love Northumbria to bits and pieces, I would totally live in Yorkshire. It's gorgeous.


After we had a delicious dinner at a pub in Malham and decided to definitely book a table there tomorrow and Gav gave the guy his name - we arrived the next day to find we were apparently, a married couple. Hehehe! Apparently we are giving off the married vibe already... it made us laugh!

In other bloggery news, I have decided to try and stick to some vague kind of Updating Schedule, with various themes on various days that I can use for inspiration and incentive! I have unashamedly pinched this idea from a lot of blogs I love following. So far, I'm thinking:

WIP Wednesday
I do want to keep recording crafty stuff on this blog, but as I haven't, er, actually finished anything recently, I haven't been updating it with my crafty progress. I am a WIP Queen. This probably won't be a regular thing, but maybe every other Wednesday I'll post my WIPs. This may even spur me on to actually finishing things, you never know! I am planning my first Wip Wednesday for this week. Yay for self-motivation!

Toy Thursday
Just to make sure I'm updating regularly with toy related content - toys I love, toys I bought, toys I want... I know I can stick to this on a weekly basis, as I pretty much spend at least 50% of my waking hours thinking about toys. Why not share my unwavering enthusiasm? (It'll save family and friends listening to me jabber on, anyway!)

Hopefully, you'll be hearing from me on a more regular basis! :)

alice xox

No comments:

Post a Comment