Wednesday, 25 July 2012

WIP Wednesday: Grannysquaretastic!


I think I first mentioned my granny square blanket project back in October, which is a shamefully long time ago, but it's still very much a WIP...

The granny square is a magical thing. I think among crochet techniques it has the biggest discrepancy between how intimidating it looks to newbies and how awesomely easy it actually is. As I mentioned back in October, my sudden granny square cravings are entirely due to Lucy of Attic24, who makes the most deliciously colourful and beautiful blankets. I don't have her magical  colour-sense, but I marched into John Lewis and bought a lovely selection of Rowan Pure Wool DK, and I think it's worked out rather well considering the complete lack of planning.



I started off without any of the cream edging, but decided it was looking too dark and that having a uniform last row around the edges would making joining much neater. I used the joining method you can find explained here which involved basically making an extra granny row in-between the squares. It's definitely my favourite way to join granny squares, plus, it has a really nice finish (which will be ever better when I've sewn all the ends in and blocked it a bit.)


The reason this blanket has taken so long is mostly because I spent so long making the squares without joining them, trying to be responsible and lay them all out in the correct colour combinations first... but I love seeing a project grow too much, and without that, I kind of lost enthusiasm. When I started joining them as I went, the granny-love was back!

I don't really know how much bigger I want it to be, I figure I'll keep making squares until I run out of my original blanket yarn stash, and then I can pick colours for the border. This is only my second attempt at a crocheted blanket, and I love it so much more than the last, because I used wool rather than acrylic, which is 57483957493 times more delicious. At this rate, I should get it finished for movies-on-the-sofa-under-a-blanket-season. After all the awesome superhero movies this summer, autumn will be fun of excellent DVD releases. Sounds like a plan... ;)

alice xox

ps. truly dreading sewing all those ends in. dreading.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! This just reminded me that I started a granny square project over Christmas while I was here in the US. It must be in the closet somewhere...

    Yours is infinitely prettier though. Love the color combos! It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh you must find it! and take photos! :) *nods*

      Delete