Monday, 19 November 2012

The Granite City Roller Girls & Alice's first bout

As I think I've mentioned, since moving to Aberdeen I got involved with the local roller derby league. Things that are terrifying: moving to a new city and starting a new job. Things that are double terrifying: moving to a new city, showing up to a sports club where you don't know anyone, full of pre-established friendships and intimidatingly kick-ass ladies, and attempting to learn a sport (on wheels, no less) that has a bit of reputation for being violent.

I needn't have worried. Showing up to the first GCRG practice was the best thing I've done since moving here, hands down. Everyone is lovely and friendly, derby is the best fun ever, and I've gone up a size in trousers because my thighs have genuinely become entities of their own. It's awesome. (I mean, I'm still reasonably puny, but give me time!)

This weekend, I got to see the GCRG team - the Northern Fights - in actual bouting action. It was prettiest much the coolest thing ever.

Fights vs NRG
 
I can but aspire to kick as much ass as these ladies. One day, I hope to have thighs you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Toe stops will quiver with fear at the sight of me, and not the other way around. (Although, I like to think my toe stops might just suck, and I'm not just totally inept. They're square and I can't seem to keep them tight enough to not spin round, hence the frequency of Alice landing butt-first. Ouchies.)

A girl can dream! In the meantime, I can workworkwork and enjoy being surrounded by awesome ladies. :)

alice xox

1 comment: