Thursday, 3 January 2013

Goodbye, 2012!

So, I know that the entire concept of a "New Year" is a media-fuelled fallacy that turns the very simple concept of recording the passing of time into this Massive Big Deal where everyone has to freak out about everything from eating too much turkey, to not having anyone to kiss on the stroke of midnight, to a perceived sense of self-failure, and that it's totally ridiculous and not at all constructive...

... buuuuut, it's difficult to actually put that knowledge into practice, isn't it?

So when 2013 rolled around all of a sudden, after December (and some of November) passed in a 'oh god why am I working in retail why am I doing this to myself' blur, my first reaction was to start freaking out about how little I have achieved, what a lazy slacker I am, and how bleak 2013 looks for the total failure that is Alice.

Dear self, shut up. Just, shhhhhhhh.

I know exactly why I feel like that, but I know exactly why I shouldn't, as well. I think, really, I'm just suffering a little from that big, scary transition from 'student' to 'actual adult.' This is not the first time I have wished I was a Sim. (The Sim wikia page for the 'young adult' life stage is hilariously relevant to my time as a student. 'There are no days of the week for young adults.' These days, my weekends are sacred. I would punch people to get my weekends. Take my Saturday mornings in bed from me, and I will take your firstborn.)

2012 was awesome. I did awesome. I didn't change the world, but I did good. Now, I am going to do awesome things with 2013, and I will beat anyone up (ie. mostly myself) who dares to suggest otherwise. I will spend time with awesome people, I will make and learn lots of awesome things, and I will surround myself with awesomeness and positivity. I will remember that life-changing does not necessarily mean epic adventures on a grand scale, but can mean making time to crochet in bed after a long day. I will remember that success is not just the end result, but the small steps you take to get there. It probably feels pretty awesome on top of Everest, but it's pretty nice on the sofa appreciating your central heating, too. My life probably will be a bit mundane, but that doesn't make it any less excellent. And, that's ok. In fact, that's brilliant. So there, social expectations. I am going to live my life like a normal person and enjoy it.

2013, bring it.

Goodbye, 2012!
 
alice xox

ps. sounding like a Robin Williams film is a to-be-expected side-effect of going about on the internet with a name inspired by a character in Dead Poets Society. I am mostly ok with that. 14 year old Alice and I have something in common, after all. 

2 comments:

  1. Make it so, Miss Awesomepants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! What Laura Kate said ;)

    You did do awesome in 2012, and I have no doubt that you will continue to do awesome in 2013. You're probably going to get totally swept up with BCUK as well, which is ALL KINDS of awesome.

    Much love lady - ♥

    ReplyDelete