Tuesday, 8 January 2013

In which Alice gets a new toy!

At the beginning of 2012 and my attempted 366, my much loved (and somewhat battered) Olympus was officially on its last year of service. I decided that I was going to make it last 2012, and then treat myself to a new camera. At the beginning of 2013, it officially gave up the ghost, and so...


 ... I have a new camera! I saved all my pennies very responsibly throughout 2012 and even waited for the January sales. (That's as close to a guilt-free purchase as I'm getting right now.) I've wanted to switch to Canon for a while now, for a few reasons. R.I.P. my beloved Olympus E-510, faithful photographic steed of Alice since 2007. May it live ever longer as my emergency back-up and new camera of Gavin (who is very excited by the combination of the macro lens and his Warhammer.)

Welcome to the Canon 600D! I know that, in the grand scale of cameras, the 600D is still very much entry level and nothing terribly exciting, but it is very exciting to little old me. The best thing is - unlike my Olympus in its twilight years - the Canon can actually cope with taking photos in less-than-perfect light. Which is awesome. My number one problem has always been being slave to the sunshine. I think that's always an issue for anyone taking photos, but for me, even more so. Last weekend, I took it for a test run, in gross, miserable, it's-going-to-rain-any-minute light. My old camera could not have coped so beautifully!








... and a bonus photo taken by Gavin of me and my new camera! 


I'm even kind of embarrassingly pleased with the kit lens, which is probably a really lame thing to admit, but I'm not complaining - buys me some time to save up for the lenses I want. I have just started my six days off after Retail Christmas Hell, so watch this space for more photos. Six days! Oh, bliss.

alice xox

2 comments:

  1. awesome and congrats! my current is an e-520 and i want to upgrade soon, too. these pictures are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new cameras! Dan and I bit the bullet and got ourselves a Nikon D5100 after Christmas, and I am thrilled to bits with it. Enjoy your six days off! :)

    ReplyDelete