Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Hello, 2014!

If I'm honest, I'm pretty happy to see the back of 2013. It wasn't all bad, but the overwhelming theme was definitely "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON" and so even the good stuff felt chaotic. I started the year in a job I wasn't really enjoying in a city I wasn't really sure I wanted to be in, and I just felt like I'd made all the wrong decisions post-graduation and I couldn't undo them. The year did pick up pretty quickly - I got a new job, Gavin got a new job, I made a snap decision to apply for my course, I got into my course, Gavin got a transfer and - well, here we are? I'm halfway through my masters and we're both happily relocated in Yorkshire.

I still have no idea what happened. In retrospect, it seems like a pretty awesome year with lots of awesome things happening, but at the time I felt like - if you'll excuse my terrible analogy - I was falling down some stairs pretending I'd done it on purpose and somehow landed on my feet at the bottom? (People tell me my entire twenties is going to feel like this. I hope not!)


Everyone has been really lovely to me over the past 18 months as I flailed my way through my post-graduation life and I know I have been a massive pain in the arse on many, many occasions. Gavin deserves an honourable mention for being awesome in so many ways, as does my mum for calmly talking me through all the stupid stuff I have done (such leaving the car lights on and getting stranded with no battery) in my quest to reach functional adulthood. I will get there! Maybe.

I don't really do new year resolutions, but...


A few practical things to take care of, and then the cheesy stuff. Because if I'm going to have this stressful social construction of a new start forced upon me then I insist on it being full of cheesy optimism. So, here's to the theme of 2014 being "I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON."


alice xox

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I've just found your blog and have spent a few minutes admiring your beautiful Blythe girls! I love how much you love them too. I have two myself (which my family thinks is pitiful for a 46 year old) and I just adore them so much. Love your blog and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thanks so much! :) I love your blog - I will be sure to follow it in 2014! :D My plastic kids are so important to me, and if people think I'm nuts then, well, pffft. :) They make me happy! Some people like to watch men in shorts kick balls about on a screen for hours, and that's pretty weird if you think about it :P xx

      Delete