Monday, 3 February 2014

This is a post about hair.

Speaking of which, I cut a bunch of my hair off:


The first photo is from early December and you can see it was getting looooong. The second photo is right after I got it cut (in the toilets - I know, I know, super classy, right?) and maybe you can tell it's longer at the front and shorter at the back? Anyway! It's way shorter, and it feel awesome. Wow. Long hair is lovely, don't get me wrong, but I am done done done done done with having it on my own head.

Because my hair was so long, I could actually do something useful with it when I chopped it all off, which is ace! I've sent it on its way to the Little Princess Trust (the chosen charity for BCUK 2011) and hopefully it'll make (part of?) a very nice wig. When you donate hair, you need to cut it all off in a big ponytail. It was the weirdest thing to look at, just lying there, detached from my head...


Farewell, hair! You served me well. May you end up with someone who appreciates you more!

Speaking of hair, I have been on a hair related quest recently, which I thought I would share with you. I've been hunting for cruelty-free shampoo alternatives because I learned that my go-to shampoo was not cruelty-free (urgh so unhappy about that) and I'd actually been being super naive about the extent to which so many household products are tested on animals outside the cosmetics we usually think of when we think of animal testing. Anyway. It's below the jump cut lest I be accused of being boring and/or preachy. (No talk of animal testing in any detail! Just shampoo!)



Here are three suggestions for cruelty-free shampoo, going from cheapest to "how can I possibly justify that." (Maybe that's just me and my super tight budget?) Unfortunately, this is probably only really useful to folk in the UK, and the last one is also blonde-specific, so sorry about that. 

It's not that there aren't plenty cruelty-free alternatives, it's just so many are really pricey. Which is why this first one is so magical! 


These are Superdrug's own brand Pro Vitamin shampoo and conditioner, and they are really reasonable, and on offer a lot. I really like it, it's a solid shampoo and it smells good. Fun fact: all of Superdrug's own brand products are leaping bunny certified (and a lot are vegan, as is this shampoo) which is awesome, because all of their stuff is really reasonable and the quality to price ratio is pretty good. The same goes for the Co-op and Sainsbury's, so that's where I buy my household cleaning products etc. (I know they have a bit of a reputation for being more expensive supermarkets, but their own brand products are really quite reasonable, and I've not noticed spending any more buying my stuff from there instead.) 

Most bottles I've bought have been 2 for £3 or something similar, which is a pretty good price.


I've also quite enjoyed the Faith In Nature shampoo and conditioner (also vegan) - I've only tried Seaweed so far, but there are other scents I would love to try - but it's more expensive than the Superdrug shampoo. I think it's generally a bit over a fiver per bottle. I actually don't like it as much as the Superdrug, but it does smell great. It just makes my hair a bit static? Probably just a personal thing, I know lots of people who love it. I know that it's Gavin's favourite!



Finally, this is my favourite but I don't know that I can justify the price! The bottle I have was a Christmas gift, and I am going to stretch it out as much as I possibly can. A big bottle is £17, which is just crazy expensive, but wow wow wow it smells so amazing and my hair smells awesome all day and it's just beautiful. I am also using the American Cream conditioner (again, a Christmas present) which is also lovely, but I don't love it as much as I love this shampoo. Luckily, I can ration it even more carefully now my hair is short!

I'm sure I don't have to extoll the merits of Lush to most of you, but oh boy. Lush. Mmmmmmmmm.

alice xox

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...American Cream. I used that for about 4 years, but then it started being weird with my hair (and also I was very underemployed). Have you looked at the Lush shampoo bars? I hear they last for ages.

    ReplyDelete