Sunday, 1 June 2014

The Hamster Situation

Hello, friends! It's been a while. As always, you can keep up to date with my life with my flickr or my instagram, and if you've been following me on either, you might have noticed there is now a bit of a Hamster Situation ongoing. By which I mean, there are hamsters in my life and I'm being really, really tedious about it and just want to take photos of them and talk about them all the time.

So you've got three guesses what this blog post is going to be about. (Clue: it starts with hamsters.)

So! There are now two little Roborovski hamsters living with us, named Sputnik and Pintsize! Both Gavin & I had Syrian hamsters when we were kids, but we didn't know all that much about Robos. They're the smallest type of hamster, and they only grow to be about 2 inches long. They are teeny weeny little baby hamster cuties <3

Pintsize & Sputnik when they first arrived home!

Like some other dwarf hamster species, they can live together quite happily! They were super super cute cuddling up to each other. Unfortunately, they only lived together for about a month, and now they live separately. They started fighting and Pintsize took a chunk out of Sputnik's butt, so they are now lone robos. (I've seen some people on the internet successfully reintroduce hammies after blood has been shed, but we decided not to try. They seem really happy on their own, and they just weren't that compatible. They have completely opposite personalities.)





This is Sputnik! He is a pied robo and I chose his name (we wanted to keep a robot theme, hence the names) and he is the cuddly (silly) one. Sputnik was always completely unafraid of us, and has been the easiest to tame.

video

video


He is silly and cuddly and cute, and caused me extreme anxiety when he had his butt wound because he is a precious gentle little baby and I am really really good at worrying. (He is 1000% fine now!) He is definitely less dignified than Pintsize.


This is Pintsize, named by Gavin! He is an agouti robo, and is incredibly photogenic. I love his little white eyebrows.





He is also very very sweet and gentle - he seems like the vicious one of the hammies because he was the biter and Sputnik was the bitee, but that is definitely not the case! Neither of them have bitten us at all (except for an initial nibble during which they decided that no, the human creatures are not good to eat.)



Pintsize is faster than Sputnik, and a little bit more wary, so he isn't quite as tame. He will run on your hands for a bit, then inevitably decides that there are better things he could be doing with his time, and will just launch himself off into the distance. Which is a problem, because he has no sense of height, and can actually propel himself surprisingly far. He is learning to go slow on us, though! (Robos are tiny, but they are FAST.)

They both have exceptionally cute butts. (That's an eggcup, just for an idea of how tiny and adorable they are!)

Pintsize's butt


Sputnik's butt

To conclude: they are the light of my life and my existence was hollow and meaningless before them. 



But seriously. I love these silly creatures, they bring me lots of joy and giggles. I am probably going to continue being really tedious and talking about them and taking photos of them all the time. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

alice xox


No comments:

Post a Comment